Hi,

On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 10:34 AM, Mike Eriksen
<thinstation.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think that FreeDOS is a funny project and I like it. On rare
> occasions I need it for BIOS upgrade on Linux boxes.
>
> But frankly unless you have some unique binary software that only runs
> on DOS, Linux is a far better choice on any hardware made the last 20
> years. Not necessarily the heavyweights like Ubuntu and friends but
> others exists too.

Neither XP nor "light" Linuxes typically run well (if at all) in even
128 MB of RAM, so saying 20 years is a bit of an exaggeration, even 10
years isn't supported well. I'm not knocking Linux, just saying, I've
honestly tried, and it doesn't always work on such "old" machines. But
your mileage may vary (and of course I can't test 300+ distros).

Obviously, if (and only if) you can't recompile all your needed
software and all your hardware is supported, then Linux is perfect.
For the rest of us, though, it doesn't suffice.