Am 06.06.2011 01:24, schrieb David C. Kerber:

>> On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 3:15 PM, Mike Eriksen
>> all) in even
>> exaggeration, even

 > I ran my home web server with debian Lenny in 128MB for a long
time.  Once I added Tomcat and an e-mail server, I had to add more
ram, but for just http serving, 128MB was fine.

Hmm. I confess, I run my home webserver with Debian GNU/Linux 4 (Etch)
and 20 MB Ram and a 486SX which is 18 years old.  Check it at:
<http://ulihansen.kicks-ass.net/sysinfo/index.htm>

As long as you don't run X and you do build an own small kernel, the
OS, Apache 2   and some services like smb and ssh work fine on such an
old plastic brick. As the install process is really slow, I normally
install Linux by plugging the harddisk into another machine, install
the OS there, compile the kernel and put it back into the old machine.
It still takes some time (and some tricks) to do it.

Of course FreeDOS works great on the machine too (and is much! faster
up and running). I am using it for occasional maintenance of the
server and, of course, for fun.