> use the 8042 keyboard controller command 0xd2 to simulate scancode
> received.  that's documented (again in the IBM technical reference)
>
> this will simulate a scancode all the way through interrupt handler,
> int15.4f, ...

That is exactly what I call "Method 1" does.  The problem is, function D2h
doesn't exist in all keyboard controllers, even modern ones.  Nor is it always
100% reliable -- I have at least one computer where it is "flaky" (sometimes
works OK and sometimes doesn't).

On that particular computer, I have to use Method 3, since Method 2 doesn't
work reliably, either.  And, on top of that, I must load MS KEYB because the
regular BIOS itself is incompatible (again, "flaky") with my Method 3.  I
cannot use MKEYB (or FD-KEYB) on that computer even if I would want to, because
they use INT 15.4F and do not actually replace the entire BIOS INT 9 handler
like MS KEYB does.