Q: What partitions are on it? Did you set the HD jumper appropriately
for the NexStar before putting it in?

A: The Seagate drive in the NexStar enclosure has a bootable FAT16
(0x06) partition and is located at /dev/sdb1. As for the jumpers, I
don't recall exactly which ones are set. However, I am able to boot up
as I can with the 500GB hard drive where the Linux I use (Ubuntu 11.04)
is installed. All I had to do was switch the booting sequence through
the BIOS, as it recognizes my USB-converted drive.

Q: Option from where? What "installation process"?

A: I am referring to the options presented to me when I used the FreeDOS
CD I made with the fbasecd.iso file I downloaded from the FreeDOS web
site. I tried to install FreeDOS on my USB drive, but I did so without
using the 'UNetbootin' software application ... with unpleasant
consequences. Instead of installing FreeDOS on to my USB drive, I
accidentally installed it onto the hard drive where Ubuntu is installed,
making it necessary for me to reformat the whole thing and reinstall Linux.

Q: What does FDISK tell you about available partitions?

A: I haven't tried it yet. I was leery about doing so for fear of
repeating those unpleasant consequences I described. I will try it after
making sure all my data has been backed up.

S: Just because you put a HD in a USB enclosure doesn't mean the OS
found the device or any partitions it may have on it.

A: Ubuntu 11.04 recognized my drive when I simply plugged it into one of
my USB ports, but thanks for the information just the same.