2012/3/11, Bernd Blaauw <bbla...@home.nl>:

> Please let us know if/when you're able to pinpoint a culprit.
> You might want to start with a MSDOS/Win9x bootdisk (www.bootdisk.com)
> to eliminate FreeDOS components as the culprit, and to have a proven
> reference platform.

Tried it yesterday under DOS 6.22 - there were no problems (on 386SX25).

> Once that works, try 4DOS but keep MSDOS's memory manager.
> Independently, also try JEMMEX (and/or XMGR and/or HIMEMX with/without
> JEMM386). [..]

OK, I'll try to use the mentioned configurations, then I'll send a report.

Checked again 4DOS/COMMAND.COM: no idea, how this can be dependent on
the shell - but _yes_, it's enough to replace command.com with 4DOS as
shell in fdconfig.sys, and there is that slow-down again. I think,
it'll be easy to reproduce.
--
regards,
Zbigniew