Hi,

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 6:28 PM, Zbigniew <zbigniew2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012/3/15, Jack <gykazequ...@earthlink.net>:
>
>> Maybe not:  I still use a 1986 "WordStar" editor, the only one I ever
>> had "time to learn" well.   It is VERY slow at the end of an edit, my
>> guess being that only THEN does it "rename" my previous file with the
>> .BAK suffix, then finishes output of my NEW file, then it deletes all
>> its "temporary" files!   Perhaps your editor does a LOT of such work,
>> whenever you finally "output" a new edited file.
>
> I noticed that pauses while using "edit" shipped with FreeDOS - can it
> really be that slow when saving edited file?

How big is the file? (Last I checked, FD EDIT only supported 64 kb
files.) It's a 16-bit real mode editor compiled by a wimpy compiler,
what'd you expect?   ;-)   So no, it's not fast, but it shouldn't take
long.

What file system? I think FAT32 is slightly slower. And of course
fragmentation hurts (so defrag!). Of course, it could be a hardware
(faulty disk) or driver issue, but first try a different editor (e.g.
VILE, FTE).