Hi,

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 7:11 PM, Zbigniew <zbigniew2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012/3/15, Rugxulo <rugx...@gmail.com>:
>
>>> I noticed that pauses while using "edit" shipped with FreeDOS - can it
>>> really be that slow when saving edited file?
>>
>> How big is the file? (Last I checked, FD EDIT only supported 64 kb
>> files.)
>
> Like I wrote: about 2 KB.

Hmmm, no, that shouldn't take more than a second.

>> It's a 16-bit real mode editor compiled by a wimpy compiler,
>> what'd you expect?   ;-)   So no, it's not fast, but it shouldn't take
>> long.
>
> But even compiled using anything wimpy - can it still be noticeably
> slow on 2 GHz CPU?

Depends on the algorithms, but normally I'd hope not!

>> What file system? I think FAT32 is slightly slower. And of course
>> fragmentation hurts (so defrag!). Of course, it could be a hardware
>> (faulty disk) or driver issue, but first try a different editor (e.g.
>> VILE, FTE).
>
> It's FAT32. But - as I wrote - my HDD has 16 MB of its own internal
> cache (it's STM3320418AS), then IMHO I shouldn't notice any pause
> while saving such short file. Even when not using any software cache
> at all.

It shouldn't pause at all if using a generic hard drive, but perhaps
yours is flash-based, e.g. USB or SSD?? If not, then it's some other
conflict.

> I would to add, that no such problems when working under Linux - this
> makes me think, that NVIDIA SATA perhaps needs some kind of "software
> booster" to exploit its full potential? We've got nowadays
> "win-printers", "win-modems" - and instead of soundcards programmed by
> setting their registers contents, there are just ALC codecs - perhaps
> now it's time for "win-controllers", crippled "by default", when not
> using additional software?

Modern computers are 100x more complex than they were 10-20 years ago,
so it could be anything. And yes, something like Windows has more
support by default (e.g. ACPI) than most other OSes (with Linux
second, natch). But I don't know exactly what's going on here.