2012/3/15, Rugxulo <rugx...@gmail.com>:

>> I noticed that pauses while using "edit" shipped with FreeDOS - can it
>> really be that slow when saving edited file?
>
> How big is the file? (Last I checked, FD EDIT only supported 64 kb
> files.)

Like I wrote: about 2 KB.

> It's a 16-bit real mode editor compiled by a wimpy compiler,
> what'd you expect?   ;-)   So no, it's not fast, but it shouldn't take
> long.

But even compiled using anything wimpy - can it still be noticeably
slow on 2 GHz CPU?

> What file system? I think FAT32 is slightly slower. And of course
> fragmentation hurts (so defrag!). Of course, it could be a hardware
> (faulty disk) or driver issue, but first try a different editor (e.g.
> VILE, FTE).

It's FAT32. But - as I wrote - my HDD has 16 MB of its own internal
cache (it's STM3320418AS), then IMHO I shouldn't notice any pause
while saving such short file. Even when not using any software cache
at all.

I would to add, that no such problems when working under Linux - this
makes me think, that NVIDIA SATA perhaps needs some kind of "software
booster" to exploit its full potential? We've got nowadays
"win-printers", "win-modems" - and instead of soundcards programmed by
setting their registers contents, there are just ALC codecs - perhaps
now it's time for "win-controllers", crippled "by default", when not
using additional software?

Just my guess.
--
regards,