At 03:57 PM 4/6/2012, Rugxulo wrote:
>Hi,
>
>On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 5:43 PM, Ralf A. Quint <free...@gmx.net> wrote:
> > At 02:59 PM 4/6/2012, Rugxulo wrote:
> >
> >>Also see Gautier's "Transparent Language Popularity Index" (updated
> >>each month):
> >>
> >>http://lang-index.sourceforge.net/
> >
> > Sorry, but as far as programming for (Free)DOS is concerned, that
> > list is completely irrelevant...
>
>No. You have to know what language dialect you want to use before you
>can actually start. Who tells a Pascal programmer to use C? Or maybe
>you expect everyone to be language agnostic (doubt it)??
>
>My point is that there are a lot of languages, and often there is a
>DOS port *somewhere* in the world, but some (C, C++) are more popular
>than others (ML, Lisp). So try not to choose the hardest road
>possible!

For more than half of those languages, there doesn't exist a (at
least serious) DOS implementation.
You rather have to use what is available, and that is fairly limited...

It doesn't matter for example if PHP is in the top of this popularity
list when there is no use for that in DOS. Or JavaScript, or Haskell,
Ruby, Python, Objective-C, C# or Java, just to name a few...

And if there is a more or less complete DOS port, for things like
Python, D, you still have to fight with the inherited Unix/Linux or
Windows centric concept of a lot of those.

And how does it matter "how popular" a language is, it matters what
you want to achieve. And then try to use the best tool for the job,
as with everything else in life...

Ralf