For hard-core application programming where you need to use a few BIOS
and DOS interrupts I like to use C and C++ (carefully).  C gives you a
tremendous amount of control and flexibility.

My two favorite compilers are:

Borland Turbo C++ 3.0 for DOS: I did most of my early mTCP work.  It
really needs a 386 or faster machine to run on, but it generates 16 bit
code as well as 32 bit code.  This particular version is stuck in time
(1992) so if you need to access new opcodes on later processors you need
to use inline assembler.  I'm sure the later versions of this that run
under Windows and the professional versions (those don't use the "Turbo"
word in the name) are comparable, but with more bells and whistles.
Code optimization is not great.  But the run-time library is fairly compact.

Open Watcom: The run-time library is a bit heavier than the library in
Turbo C++, but it includes some newer functions that are missing from
Turbo C++.  The code optimization is generally better.  The compiler
itself can be run under DOS, Windows or Linux and all versions can
cross-compile and create code for other platforms.  (On my Windows XP
machine I create 16 bit DOS applications and 32 bit Windows test
programs.)  Open Watcom is daunting compared to Turbo C++ but the
rewards are worth it.

Open Watcom is open source and is regularly updated, but it is loosing
critical mass.  It seems to be a fairly well kept secret, which I don't
understand.

(PS: If we have FreeDOS code that doesn't compile under OW I'd be
interested in seeing it.  A few #defines can fix a lot of problems.  The
debugging is the hard part.)

Mike