> Jack, PLEASE, don't pull yourself up on the "VirtualBox" issue, it is
> rather a more general problem.
>
> You simply rely on the contents of the memory region rather than than
> properly query system via INT13. And that isn't adding much to the
> logic and overall size of your drivers compared to the indiscriminate
> reliance on the validity of the BIOS data area.

Who says that "properly querying system via Int 13h" IS in fact proper??
Why would the BIOS include the flags at 0:48Fh if the BIOS designers did
NOT intend them to be USED??   And who says it is "indiscriminate", if I
rely on the validity of the BIOS data??   This time, my friend, you have
REALLY overstepped your bounds!!

> Yes, this will be more likely an issue with a(ny) virtual machine
> setup than with a "real iron" box, but then querying the DOS
> interrupt would rather help for example to make use of the floppy
> drive caching in a system with more than 2 floppy drives...

UIDE/UIDE2 are designed to support a maximum of 2 diskettes.   Since
diskettes are no-longer offered for general sale, and people now use
USB devices, etc., I see no reason to worry about 3 or more diskette
systems -- very few ever existed, and they needed special software!!