>> Xtree complains after a minute:
>> device: AUX, Cannot write data.
>
> Dunno, would only make a horrible suggestion to use a different file
> manager, e.g. DJGPP-built Ytree.

good hint, found FM which has exactly the same problems with JEMMEX as
BP has. Difference is, it does not run in any config.
If no EMS or XMS available I get Runtime error 200, else I get 000E.

the only ytree binary i was able to find is for Windows. ;(

FM second one:
ytree 5.:
http://www.xtreefanpage.org/lowres/x60softw.htm

> (Without further knowledge, it's very
> difficult, esp. since I don't have Xtree. But I honestly hate the idea
> of giving up or "don't use it" as worthwhile advice.)

;)
any clone would be ok.
XT has got a feature my father uses often, NC and clones dont have it.
and he is used to XT.

>> BP IDE starts fine, did not try further yet.
>>
>> current JEMMEX config is
>> DEVICE=C:\DOS\BIN\JEMMEX.EXE NOEMS X=TEST NOVME NOINVLPG
>
> Wait, are you running inside a VM? There's almost no other explanation
> for using "NOVME".

no idea. this is what the freedos installer installed ;)
havent thought about it yet.
removing NOVME did not change anything.

> Dunno, no reason it should be using so much or even both XMS plus EMS at
> the same time. Might be some configuration setting (env. var.?) for that
> somewhere. Or it could just be the extender's bug. Try HDPMI16 or
> DPMIONE instead.

mh, DPMIONE + FM did not work in any memory config.
HDPMI i did not try yet, since it comes with a huge DOS extender package.

its hard to remember. its soooo long ago since I dealt with DPMI etc.
so DPMI gets on top of any XMS manager?
If I remember/understand correctly, XMS is provided by:
himem.sys, jemmex, xmgr, emm386 etc.

>> why does MEM report EMS when JEMMEX option says NOEMS?
>
> MEM isn't always reliable,

there is no other solution?

I tried JEMMEX VERBOSE and it reports 8 MB EMS with NOEMS option.
strange. will check if there is a newer version...
http://www.japheth.de/Jemm.html

> It's hard for some extenders to work in all circumstances, esp. modern
> machines. Clearly they weren't fully tested, and they make some weird
> assumptions, probably because it mostly worked fine in common cases
> (e.g. legacy Win9x). 16-bit DPMI was always quirky, says CWS, because it
> was always relying on non-standard, undocumented int 21h extensions.

well, the P3 is a good choice I think.
has a lot of modern interfaces, but is not that different from the old
hardware as really modern PCs. I do not want to know the problems one
has with UEFI BIOSes. ;)

> XKEYB is deprecated. Try Aitor's latest KEYB 2.01 bugfix instead, if
> possible, it is preferred.
does not work with USBDOS.

Jan