Hi,
We had no difficulty installing the five disk set of Dr dos 7.03 onto the
primary dos partition  it created...that was never the issue.
The issue instead was  using the rest of the hard drive in any fashion that
Dr dos would understand.  No matter how far below 2 gig we went.  The fdisk
must see 12 gig in order to partition 12 gig.
I believe we have discovered from prior posts that freedos can read disks
far larger than the hard  drive in this system.
If the multitasking option you suggested proves a viable option either for
freedos, or ms dos 7.1, then I will let her know of the option.  I will be
basing
my sharing on what documentation I find on that program.
Otherwise her friend must find a hard drive for that dell laptop of 6 gig or
so for Dr dos 7.03 to be happy.
Thanks for  the exploration.
Karen