> From: Bernd Blaauw <bbla...@home.nl>
> What's running? SMB using MS-Client? NFS using something? I
> guess you  used shares mapped to driveletters. The SHARE program
> might solve your  issue. Otherwise the server perhaps has
> issues, instead of the clients.

Sorry, I forgot to say. Here are the answers:

- It's an MS-Client network running the NetBIOS protocol.
- Yes, shares are mapped to driveletters.
- And yes, I'm using the SHARE program in the server.

> From: "Bret Johnson" <bretj...@juno.com>
> Do the problems also happen with MS-DOS on the client, or
> "plain" FreeDOS (without 4DOS) on the client?

I'll do some more testing along these lines next time I go to
the Health Center. Should take a few days though, as I'm very
busy now.

> From: dmccunney <dennis.mccun...@gmail.com>
> The issue here appears to be in the network layer, and will
> likely bite with XCOPY as well as COPY.  I think the prior
> suggestion of loading SHARE amy be the right answer.

As said above, SHARE is loaded in the server. (Actually I thought
the network wouldn't even work without it.)

> From: Eric Auer <e.a...@jpberlin.de>
> Have you tried smbclient? It accesses Samba / Windows shares in
> the same style as "ftp" accesses FTP servers. So there is no
> drive letter but also no big driver to have around. Might work
> more reliable than MSCLIENT...

> From: "Bret Johnson" <bretj...@juno.com>
> [..] At least one of the possible culprits (file managers,
> FreeDOS, or 4DOS) is obviously doing something different than
> the others, and it's worth at least a little effort to try and
> find out what that is, IMO.  If it turns out to be a FreeDOS
> problem (and I suspect FreeDOS more than 4DOS or the file
> managers, based on past experience), it might be the same reason
> he can't use FreeDOS on the server, and it can all be fixed at
> once.

I hesitate to go for Linux/Samba on the server, firstly because
I'm a FreeDOS fan, and secondly because I've been told that a
Samba server is not easy to set up.

As an aside, let me say that FreeDOS has already had at least
one substantial improvement with regard to networking. This is

        Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 00:13:00 -0300 (BRT)
        Subject: Problem solved by new kernel

        It is my pleasure to report that kernel 2039 solved the
        problem that we discussed in 2008 under the title "Can
        write but not read network share". It was related to the
        "unimplemented internal dos function INT2F/120a" error
        message while running MS-Client.

        The client computer now correctly sees the shared
        folders and files of the server, either directly with
        the dir command, or through different file managers.

        I have checked this twice by reverting to kernel 2038,
        and the problem reappears. Maybe other factors such as
        different configuration files also played a role, as I
        sometimes experiment with these, but my guess is that
        the credit should go to kernel 2039.

        JemmEx now works well in conjunction with MS-Client,
        whereas with the previous kernel it crashed often.

        Thanks for the improvement!

        Regards,

        Marcos Florence

Marcos