On 2013-04-21 15:48 (GMT+0200) Aleve Sicofante composed:

> I have a single 40GB disk and I need its first partition for other
> purposes, so I want to install FreeDOS on the second partition of the
> disk (that's the last 1GB of the disk, BTW). The process seems to be
> the same as if chose the first partition, but when I'm finished,
> FreeDOS won't boot. It will boot indeed if I install it on the first
> partition.

> Regarding the boot method, I honestly don't know the differences
> between the boot methods presented at the end of the installation
> process. I've chosen between 1 and 2, with no results (I haven't tried
> 3 and 4).

> Is it possible to install FreeDOS on the second partition at all or is
> it mandatory to use the first partition? If it's possible, what do I
> have to do to make it boot?

What boots when you turn it on depends on the content of the MBR. With
generic DOS-compatible code in the first part of the MBR, what boots depends
on a flag in the last part of the MBR containing the partition table. The
bootable flag needs to be moved from the first partition's entry there to the
second one's entry. Without other software, once you do that, the first
partition will no longer be bootable unless the flag is moved back.

To work around this several solutions are available involving either
replacing the MBR code and/or installing a boot manager and/or reconfiguring
one already present in a current installation to present a menu at boot time
to choose what to boot. What you would then have is a multi-boot system,
meaning a system with two, three or more operating systems installed and
bootable.

Any number of utilities, including FDISK, can quickly and simply move the
bootable flag. Some call it "make startable" or "make active" or "activate".

More info: http://fm.no-ip.com/PC/partitioningindex.html

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/