On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 1:32 PM, Aleve Sicofante <asicofa...@gmail.com>wrote:

> 2013/4/21 Felix Miata <mrma...@earthlink.net>
>
>> On 2013-04-21 18:19 (GMT+0200) Aleve Sicofante composed:
>>
>> > Felix Miata composed:

>> choose #1,
>> access
>>
>> > OK, but even if I choose #1 I'll need a boot manager, right?
>>
>> Wrong. With only one bootable OS installed, and only one HD in the system,
>> there's no compelling reason to have any boot manager.
>>

> Well, the definitely compelling reason is that the system simply will not
> boot. That's the whole reason I started this thread. It will boot fine if I
> install on the first partition, but not at all if I install in the second
> partition. No other differences involved.
>

>> > GRUB will do?
>>
>> If you want one, sure. Syslinux is another option. And AiRBoot. And
>> others.
>>

> I'll try GRUB, since I'm an Ubuntu user and I'm already familiar with it.
> But I'm definitely curious about what would prevent the system from booting
> if only the second partition is used.

There are two different issues here.
1) The hard drive's master boot record (MBR - 1st sector where the
partition table resides) must have bootable code installed.  If you later
intend to boot an OS from the 1st partition then installing a boot manager
is a good idea, otherwise you can use the default boot code.  You may need
to add that code, as depending on how you partitioned the drive it may or
may not have been installed.  Fdisk /MBR (check the help before blindly
doing it though) can do this in FreeDOS or MSDOS.  Alternately installing
GRUB or SYSLINUX or whatever to the MBR will place its specific boot code
there.  For the standard boot code you will also need to ensure the 2nd
partition (the one with FreeDOS) is marked active (other boot managers may
call it make bootable or startable).  From FDISK there is an option to
indicate the active partition.
2) The default MBR will then load the boot code from the active partition
[aka the volume boot code].  This is where the choices 1-5 come into play.
You want to choose option 1 to install the FreeDOS boot code to the 2nd
partition.  Before running sys (here option 5 may be the better choice)
make sure that you are running sys to correct partition.  The kernel will
treat the boot drive as C:

Since you are familiar with GRUB, the simplest is to use it and have it
chainload the kernel.sys.

If you still have problems then I can setup a test computer and send you
better instructions for running fdisk and sys, but the combination of those
two should get you booting.

Jeremy