Hi Felix,

>> I created two PRIMARY partitions: a 39GB one and a 1GB one. I marked the
>> second partition as Active...

Note that because your partition starts after the first
8 GB, no matter which geometry you use, the partition
can only be reached with LBA. So "FAT32 with LBA" would
be a good partition type. Unless you prefer "FAT16 LBA"
of course, the size of 1 GB is suitable for both. The
FAT32 variant has smaller clusters (better usage of the
available space with many small files) but larger FAT
tables (worse performance in particular with big files).

Once you use LBA instead of CHS, geometry is ignored.

>> I did all this using the tools provided in the
>> FreeDOS CD. After partitioning and rebooting...

In some tools, you may have to explicitly select LBA.

>> installation of FreeDOS to the second partition. I must say the installer
>> didn't like the partition I created, showed lots of errors and offered to
>> recreate the partition (this happened every single time I did the
>> installation, and that's at least 10 times...). I agreed with the
>> installer's suggestion, the partition was recreated and...

That does not sound good, more exact error messages may help.
It can happen that DOS complains about geometry consistency,
but as said, for LBA partitions geometry is irrelevant. DOS
could still be complaining about your FIRST (non-boot, 39 GB)
partition if that is also FAT. Because it extends beyond the
first 8 GB, you should also mark it as LBA if DOS can see it.

> CHS: * 255 63 (mostly used with desktop system BIOS)

I think 254 is also seen...

> CHS: * 240 63 (mostly used with laptop system BIOS, but often also Compaq
> desktops)
> MiB cyl: * 64 32 (required for maximum performance for 4k sector aka
> "advanced format" HDs)

Why would 4k sector disks use any geometry at all?

Geometries with powers of 2 sizes may be used for ZIP drives.

Regards, Eric