from my previous message:

> My experience with USB sticks in FreeDOS is that the USB stick is treated
> like a fixed disk: must be in at boot time, and no changing USB sticks.

Bret Johnson responded:

> That depends on which drivers you're using.  The BIOS, and most DOS USB
> drivers, do indeed work that way.  My drivers treat flash drives as a
> removable hard drive (quasi-plug-and-play) rather than a fixed hard drive, so
> you can plug and unplug whenever you want to.

> My drivers currently have other issues, such as slow speed and support for
> only USB v1 host controllers manufactured by Intel and Via, but that will
> eventually get fixed.  You can download the drivers from
> http://bretjohnson.us and try them out.

My USB host controllers are now USB 2.0 and 3.0, not sure of brand or backward
compatibility with USB v1.

First concern is making FreeDOS bootable, preferably with Syslinux.  SYS.COM
didn't work, even made the FAT32 file system unreadable.  I need to save the
first MB by dd from FreeBSD so as to be able to dd back in case the file system
is messed up.

Tom