On Sun, Nov 30, 2014 at 9:55 PM, Thomas Mueller <mueller6...@twc.com> wrote:
> from dmccunney:
>
> "Mister, you're a better man than I."
>
>> I migrated to Windows and Linux long ago.  There are still a few old
>> DOS apps I use, and I'm currently playing with a fork of DOSBox called
>> vDos under 64 bit Windows to run them.  I play with FreeDOS for fun
>> and to keep my hand in.  I haven't tried to use DOS as my production
>> OS for over 25 years.  Too much of what I do now simply can't be done
>> in DOS, and some that can is simply more trouble to do it that way
>> than it's worth.
>
>> If what you have suits your needs, more power to you.  It would not suit
>> mine.
>
> I understand what you mean.
>
> I still have and use Quattro Pro 5 for DOS but am migrating to Gnumeric.

Gnumeric is one option.  LibreOffice/Open Office is another.  I'm
making increasing use of Google Sheets.

> I can't run FreeDOS or any other DOS from hard drive because of GPT; only way
> is if I can install to a USB stick using FAT32 and get that to boot.

That doesn't bite here - the box FreeDOS lives on is an ancient
notebook set to multi-boot Win2K Pro, a couple of flavors of Linux,
and FreeDOS.  GPT is not in the picture.

> I can't access the Internet from DOS because of lack of driver for modern
> Ethernet chip.  Conceivably I could boot FreeDOS by NFS and even run from big
> ext4fs partition.

I don't even try.  Even if I could, DOS browser support is lacking.
Yes, Arachne exists, but web standards have changed to the point where
many sites simply won't work in it.

On the multiboot machine where FreeDOS lives, Linux can see the NTFS
slice where Windows is installed, and an open source Windows driver
lets it read/write the ext4 slices where the Linux flavors are
installed.  Windows and Linux can both read/write the FAT32 slice
where FreeDOS lives.  FreeDOS can only see its own slice, but I don't
care.  I have no need to access NTFS or ext4 from DOS.

> I use FreeBSD and NetBSD now, plan to build installations for Linux and Haiku.

Okay.

> Even if I could access the Internet from FreeDOS booting through NFS,
> applications are far behind what is available for Linux and the BSDs, meaning
> essentially an exercise in frustration.

Precisely.

> Main purpose for accessing the Internet from FreeDOS would be to see if it's
> possible.

It may be *possible*.  What you could do once you had would be another matter.

> I never heard of vDos fork of DOSBox, can't find it in either FreeBSD ports
> or NetBSD pkgsrc, emulators category.

It doesn't exist there. vDos is specific to Windows, and intended to
support 16 bit character mode DOS apps in a 64bit Windows environment.
Because it's intended for character mode business apps, it drops a lot
of stuff in DOSBox intended to support MSDOS games.  It works fine
here to run things like WordStar 7 under Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.  If
what you run is Linux or *BSD, DOSBox is your option.

> Tom
______
Dennis
https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519