Hi,

On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 4:42 AM, Tom Ehlert <t...@drivesnapshot.de> wrote:

>> Ability to run Windows 3.1 in 386 enhanced mode.
>
> has been discussed multiple times. conclusion: forget it

Okay, but let's be clear here:

1). It's proprietary, so it's not redistributable.
2). It's old, so most people don't have (nor want) it.
3). It used undocumented MS-specific data, so it's fairly hard to be compatible.
4). It's harder (maybe impossible) to run on even semi-modern machines
due to its own bugs and design limits.

However, that doesn't mean it's totally not worth supporting. In fact,
I could be wrong (never cared much personally, thus never tested, I
prefer "real" DOS, not Win16 GUI apps), but I think DOSBox claims to
work with Win 3.x (or maybe even Win95). I know for a fact that DR-DOS
7.03 fully works, but I'm not sure about OpenDOS or EDR-DOS.
(Obviously those have different licenses, but I know it's not [always]
totally illegal to reverse engineer or clean-room, esp. when dealing
with explicit compatibility problems like this.)

Regarding DOS apps themselves, the only real reason to use Win 3.1
would be for something like multitasking (or maybe some obscure
drivers??). In that case, it's probably easier to instead just use
DOSEMU under Linux.

So, summary: it's hard to support but not impossible, but the simple
answer is to look elsewhere at pre-existing solutions (or similar).