Karen, I also use the D-Link card (PCMCIA) in my home and it is an
outstanding card for DOS/FreeDOS, I get the desire to maintain a pure DOS
machine (I have one desktop and two laptops that are DOS only). Have you
tried DIllodos (the lasted build not the one in the FreeDOS repo)? Using
that, I can access the HTML GMAIL, I can verrry slowly browse ebay (but
cannot buy or watch an item), I can search for DOS stuff and download it to
my FreeDOS download folder.  FreeDOS's internet limitations are not
necessarily on the FreeDOS end but rather on the end of the evolution of
web security.