Hi,

On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 6:14 PM, Thomas Mueller <mueller6...@twc.com> wrote:

> I used elvis in DR-DOS 7.03 and FreeDOS, but elvis hasn't been updated since
> 2.2_0.
>
> I tried vim (7.0?) in DOS, had difficulty with more than one file at a time,
> now use vi which is nvi,
> but this has not been ported to DOS.

I'm very skeptical that VIM wouldn't work properly for you since it's
by far the most popular and feature-rich text editor in existence. But
anyways, if you can't figure it out, try VILE instead.

> I remember how elvis would bog down and become very slow as file size
> exceeded 1.5 MB,
> no such problem in Linux Slackware and no such problem with nvi in FreeBSD
> and NetBSD.

Again, VILE works fine, thanks to being compiled by DJGPP (32-bit DPMI).

> I tried FDNPKG in FreeDOS, it worked some of the time, but other times it
> messed up:
> not nearly as well developed as package management in Linux and *BSD.

We're very lucky to have someone as talented as Mateusz to contribute.
Having said that, even Ubuntu (Snappy??) and FreeBSD (pkg-ng??)
seemingly have changed package managers semi-recently, so it's not
like they have it all figured out either.

> Allegro and other software packages that included DOS support seem to have
> dropped DOS support.

Yes, that's old news. First they broke the build system (requiring
Cmake), then they switched entirely to OpenGL (EDIT: and DirectX,
according to Wikipedia) backend. DOS doesn't have OpenGL (except
software-only ancient versions of Mesa, which was never widely used in
most DJGPP programs).