On Sat, Jun 18, 2016 at 3:35 PM, Rugxulo <rugx...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 18, 2016 at 1:47 PM,  <userbeit...@abwesend.de> wrote:

> There's just not a lot of sympathy for old hardware anymore. Forced
> obsoletion is more fierce than ever, so people are routinely asked to
> upgrade (or even re-buy) everything on a fairly constant basis. They
> don't want stability, legacy, compatibility, they want "shiny! new!"
> features.
>> DR DOS had a multitasker.
>
> So did OS/2. Also Win16 and Win9x. Not to mention Desqview. And even
> DOSEMU. And WinXP's NTVDM.

OS/2 was a full OS, built from the ground up to be multi-tasking.  It
required at least a 286 CPU to run at all.  It was capable of
reading/writing a DOS FAT filesystem, and running DOS applications,
but was *not* DOS.  It was originally intended to *replace* DOS.

DV and Win3.X were a multi-tasking shells on top of DOS.  Win95 was
moving away from that.  Win98 completed the move.  It used DOS as a
real-mode loader for a protected mode OS.  Once Win98 was loaded and
active, it took over, and DOS was out of the loop.

NTVDM (which existed on Win2K as well as WinXP) was a limited virtual
machine, implementing enough of DOS to allow old 16 bit applications
to run on a 32 bit OS. Multi-tasking was actually provided by the host
OS, and NTVDM was simply another task running under the host OS.

> And nobody cares anymore.  :-(   Well, maybe ReactOS, but even their
> NTVDM still needs lots of work.

Why *should* anyone care?  Hardware is *cheap*.  My generic 7" Android
tablet, which cost me a whopping $30, has far more power than my old
XT clone (which cost over $1,000 back when), with a quad-core 1.3ghz
processor, 512MB RAM, 8GB flash, an 800x480 color screen, and a 32GB
microSD card.  I have an assortment of DOS apps running on it via an
Android port of DOSBox.

Support for ancient hardware simply isn't worth the time and trouble
for those capable of doing it.  People who *can* do that sort of thing
do it for money, and there's no money in DOS these days.
______
Dennis