Thank you for your answer Ruxgulo but I think I've been misunderstood in some
parts, where I admit I may not have made myself clear

> No Javascript support is one obvious omission. But "modern" web (HTML
> 5, etc) practically demands Firefox or Chrome anyways. Just get a
> cheap Chromebook, that's probably your simplest answer, if you need
> all these modern niceties.

As I mentioned, I personally do not "need" all those niceties, but I was
stating that it would have been better if they were available; I know what
Windows and Linux are capable of, and I've already seen what a Chromebook
can do.  I'm not demanding from FreeDOS to be Windows or Linux, but I just
wanted to share my experience with FreeDOS (as I have some more spare time
in those summer days), and possibly give some good hints and feedback :).

> If anything, I'd say GUI is worthless, it doesn't (usually) add any
> power or any extra features at all. So you don't really "need" it. But
>I  guess it looks nice and is simpler to use

I prefer command line, and use it every time I can. On FreeDOS I mostly do
not launch a GUI. If I do it is windows, and it is to launch windows' exes.
Someimes I set OpenGEM in autoexec.bat, because I want to save a little time
with by pointing and clicking.
I use FreeBSD on my desktop and on a old laptop, alongside FreeDOS,
Archlinux on another laptop, and installed Slackware on my father's one. In
none of those cases GUI is enabled by default and I prefer to run Xorg or
Wayland at need. However there are obvious things a command Line will never
replace a GUI for and there's nothing to argue about that. The day I would
be able to open youtube or see a movie with mplayer from a zsh shell, I
believe I'll never install a desktop environment again.

One reason for which I spoke about windows3 is that its not just a GUI for
DOS.
The other is that I feel that many people are not eager to try FreeDOS
because they're have never seen a CLI and are somehow scared of it. I
believe that one of the main goal of a free software is to reach the largest
community possible, obviously trying to avoid to distance itself too much
from its native structure, targets and guidelines. Provided I were to write
a free software, I would be proud if more people had installed it, or if
anyone would have made a new, different use of it, without altering my own
work. Keeping my target in mind, i would have written it in a way it would
affect the largest audience possible.
In that way, It's a pity that some people buy a pc with FreeDOS installed
and prefer to delete that 1 Gb partition, because they do not know what they
could do with it, they do not know how to set a dual-boot, and, what's more,
they have to look on youtube to be told how to select a boot device on their
UEFI because "FreeDOS has ruined their optical drive and now their pc is
unable to read window's installation disk".
Currently all free OSes and software that are worth an hardware installation
(thus excluding for me Haiku, ReactOS, Darwin, Syllable, FreeOS etc..) are
Unix-like systems and most of them is whether Linux or Android. This means
If I want something free it is Unix or nothing. Do not take me wrong, I love
Unix and Linux, and I would go with it forever. But I imagine that someone
might not like it as I do, and that's when  other things like FreeDOS come
in handy.
So my post was mainly focused on possible solutions for other people who are
willing to try a freesystem and want to break out of the Linux environment.
My goal was to argue whether FreeDOS would fare well or not as a portable
desktop, everyday-use, system, without the need of moving it away from its
roots. I'm not here to say if Linux can replace every single thing it does,
and if can do it better.
So many people just ask GUI and some basical applications to do their work.

>* http://www.mevis-research.de/~ritter/awakeideas/desktop.html
>* https://sourceforge.net/projects/fltk-dos/?source=navbar

Thanks very much for the two links provided. I knew Desktop2 but thought it
to be not available in English. I think I've both of them a try ;)

> If you use VBox or QEMU (atop Linux), you don't have to look far to
> find a working packet driver.

I don't doubt it, but I don't see the point of using internet in QEMU, atop
Linux. If you booted linux, then you just need to open links, epiphany, or
firefox.

> I doubt it's there already. He probably wants us to add it.

As I said, Blinky is available among supertuxkart among characters.  All
characters (and subsequently karts) in the games are inspired to a free/open
source project's mascotte. You can find Blinky among the addons (simply
clicking on the addons panel to download it, or you can download it from
official web site, and put it in a folder in the game addons subdirectory,
under the name 'Blinky').the destination folder is for me (on FreeBSD):
~/.local/share/supertuxkart/addons/karts
I usually invite two friends to come to my place, and play with them on LAN,
but if you know someone's nickname you can add it and invite him assuming
he's online

Cheers, Paolo