Hi,

On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 6:36 PM, Gregg Eshelman via Freedos-user
<freedos-user@lists.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> The workaround at the bottom of this page will have to be implemented in
> FreeDOS in order to install it from USB.

Writing to MSRs? Do you really think that's what Quentin did? I
somehow doubt it. He seems to have used stock (unmodified) FD kernel
2040 here.

Quick workaround: can't you install from floppy? (Perhaps USB floppy
drive?) Just to get the raw basics, then xcopy over extra stuff, if
needed.

Actually, you don't need full FreeDOS, just update the kernel (and
other utils, if needed). But even then I doubt too much changed
between kernel 2040 and now.

Or are you saying it won't write any files? You can't modify anything?