Hi!

> I was thinking that it could become necessary to start implementing a
> FreeDOS version that included natively its own BIOS, and that this
> combination of FreeDOS/BIOS is implemented entirely native as 32 or
> 64-bit code...

In my opinion: 1. is a very good idea. Something which boots
via UEFI and supports GPT and loads Coreboot / Seabios / other
BEFORE DOS, so DOS can enjoy a BIOS! I think support for common
motherboards is somewhat limited yet, but you could check the
current status. Maybe there is generic support for a wider range
of boards, given that DOS only needs a limited set of devices?

I mean if Coreboot does not support hibernate or bluetooth on
some fancy computer, it might still support all the pieces of
the computer which are really necessary to run DOS :-)

However, 2. does not sound cool. You have to consider how much
software would actually support 32- or 64-bit code: Almost none.

And if you have a tool which uses 64-bit code, it would almost
always run a lot faster on a complex high end operating system
which can provide a fancy infrastructure of drivers, filesystems
and multitasking. There already is FD32 which puts FreeDOS and
a 32-bit DOS extender into the same file, but the improvements
compared to using a separate DOS extender (or just CWSDPMI) on
a normal 16-bit FreeDOS kernel seem to be limited enough that
FD32 is still not nearly as popular as old FreeDOS afaik...

I do appreciate having more 32-bit DOS extended DOS software,
but for 64-bit and multi core / multi CPU / > 3 GB RAM, you
would first have to suggest some really cool DOS use cases :-)

Cheers, Eric