What you suggest is/was contrary to the stated  design goals for the normal
operation of the installer.

But...

The installer does show and permit changing the target drive and directory
along with many other options. However, you must put (or launch) the installer
in advanced mode to be able to change those and some other settings.

It just does not do that by default.