Just the subject line made me immediately think of one deficiency I met with
FreeDOS 1.3rc2.

Installation program needs to allow the user to see where the new FreeDOS will
be installed to, and to give the user choice of where to install to.

I had a scary experience installing FreeDOS 1.3rc2.

It would be good to show available disks and partitions.

In my case, I would want to install FreeDOS to a USB stick, since I use GPT
partitioning on hard drives, meaning incompatible with both FreeDOS and ReactOS.

Of course, I don't want to overwrite a USB stick already in use for something
else, like FreeBSD, NetBSD, Linux, or Haiku.

MS-Windows users also don't want to trash their Windows installation, same
might apply to Mac OS users.

from Jerome Shidel:

> What you suggest is/was contrary to the stated  design goals for the normal
> operation of the installer.

> But...

> The installer does show and permit changing the target drive and directory
> along with many other options. However, you must put (or launch) the
> installer in advanced mode to be able to change those and some other settings.

> It just does not do that by default.

I guess I would not be considered a normal FreeDOS user.  But FreeDOS can be
useful to access old Quattro Pro 5 for DOS spreadsheets, or dBASE databases.

Tom