Hello:

I seem to recall that long filename support could use some work and out of the
box Freedos doesn't support them.

As far as memory management, any improvements in that area are highly welcome
as that is probably the most important
foundational improvement that could be made.

FAT32 support puts freedos above MS-DOS 6.22.  There could be some improvement
though.  Long filename support needs
to be stable, but this isn't what I would call a highest priority issue.  There
is a lot of work making FAT32 more
stable and making sure everything from checkdisk to defrag works with Fat32
volumes.  A scandisk clone would be nice.

Highest priority is memory management followed by FAT32 support improvements
and then improvements to out of the box
tools for everything from filesystem tools to something like what MSD provided.
 And yes, I'm meaning to check out
hwinfo.  Anti virus is very important, maybe some improvements to clamav are in
order.

A stretch goal is to make Freedos Windows compatible, at least 3.1 and 3.11.
To a certain degree 3.1 works now, but
does enhanced mode work and could 3.1/3.11 be replaced by an open source
alternative on top of Freedos?  I really like
FLTK for example and seem to be remember a freedos spin that used FLTK to
provide a gui.  The system was roughly comparable to Windows 3.1.

Given I have the time and the necessary info, I'll port Tyco's Q-Soft to
Freedos for the real time system and Linux
for the gui ;-)  Maybe I can run the program in Linux using WINE, worth a try
at least.

It would be awesome if open source modern video support existed so you can do
higher resolution in say FLTK
or Windows 3.x.  Start with PCI and then move on to PCI express.

A revival of the open source implementation of the IPX protocol would be
awesome.  It would make a lot of old dos games work and an IPX/IP gateway could
be a Linux server where the Linux server could handle security (anti virus
squid proxy anyone).

     -- Michael C. Robinson