Hi Michael, long mail ahead ;-)

Please do not mix long file names and FAT32: The former can
even be used on FAT12 floppy. In FreeDOS, you have to load
a LFN driver TSR to use it, but I think most of command.com
already is LFN-aware. You may have to set some shell options
in your startup files (config, autoexec).

The question is which other apps need LFN support: As mentioned
earlier, it would be possible to create a TSR (similar to SETVER
in MS DOS) which knows which apps are LFN-aware and replaced LFN
file and directory names in command line options by their short
counterparts in the background for everything else. See that
bunnyhop "c:\forest level\" fictional old game example :-)

In which situations is FAT32 not stable? And which tools lack
support for it yet? You probably know my point of view regarding
CHKDSK: Because FAT32 partitions have way more metadata, CHKDSK
(8086 compatible) did not get support for it, but you can use
DOSFSCK (ported from Linux, needs 386 and enough free RAM) to
check your FAT32 partitions. For defrag, I believe there were
some initial steps towards FAT32 support, but it was long ago.

Of course dosfsck does not look like scandisk, if style matters.
The look and feel libraries of defrag or edit could be used, or
probably something again ported from Linux, to stay in 32 bit C.

Which other disk tools need more FAT32 support?

> Highest priority is memory management

In which sense?

> followed by FAT32 support improvements

See above.

> and then improvements to out of the box tools for everything
> from filesystem tools to something like what MSD provided.

Let us know how you like hwinfo, nssi and informer :-)
Which other tools should be improved (or added)?

> Anti virus is very important, maybe some improvements
> to clamav are in order.

While it would be possible to port a newer clamav version to
DOS, it is horribly bloated even on more powerful systems. My
assumption is that new viruses for DOS are rare, so I would
prefer something stripped down towards that virus ecosystem.

You may also want to have a look at my old FDSHIELD which is
vaguely similar to VSAFE but does not try to detect specific
virus "brands" at all: It just detects, blocks and alerts on
generic virus like activity, with simple command line options.

> A stretch goal is to make Freedos Windows compatible, at
> least 3.1 and 3.11.  To a certain degree 3.1 works now, but
> does enhanced mode work and could 3.1 / 3.11 be replaced by
> an open source alternative on top of Freedos?

I remember that you needed a lot of creativity to make Windows
3.1 386enh mode or Windows for Workgroups 3.11 in normal, non-
safe mode work on FreeDOS, but I think some people did get it
to work. Also, when you run Windows in FreeDOS in for example
DOSEMU, the improved DPMI host of DOSEMU helps you. That said,
you could try using DPMIONE, HDPMI or similar on raw hardware
and maybe use 386SWAT to debug problems ;-)

Regarding your other question: The standard answer is ReactOS
which originally was meant to be a Windows NT (in 1996 started
even as FreeWin95) alternative and actually did get updates in
2019 and now supports a few popular Linux filesystems, too. A
common platform are virtual computers, but by now it should be
working on reasonably widespread real hardware and apparently
it is realistic enough to let MS Office 2010 run? Parts of the
code co-evolve with Wine, but to be honest, if you want to use
Windows software on a modern PC, Wine in Linux will often be
sufficient anyway. ReactOS needs 96 and recommends 256 MB RAM,
according to Wikipedia.

Another way to run Windows software in DOS is Japeth's HX RT,
which you could compare to an extremely extended DPMI extender
including implementations of many popular Windows API calls:

> https://www.japheth.de/HX.html

> https://www.japheth.de/dwnload4.html

This lets you run non-fancy Windows programs directly from the
DOS prompt, for example compilers (non-graphical) or graphical
apps which only use SDL or similar very compatible frameworks,
such as QEMU or DOSBOX. Run virtual PC & DOS inside DOS! :-)

Note that only half a dozen of the most basic Windows DLL are
emulated, so do not expect to run Chrome on DOS with HX GUI.

>  I really like FLTK for example and seem to be remember a
> freedos spin that used FLTK to provide a gui.

Yes, that was a very nice project by Georg Potthast :-)

> https://code.google.com/archive/p/nanox-microwindows-nxlib-fltk-for-dos/downloads

> https://sourceforge.net/projects/fltk-dos/

It has a desktop with icons and Win95 style start menu, the
Dillo web browser, FlWriter text editor, FlMail client, the
sprsht spreadsheet and other things.

>  The system was roughly comparable to Windows 3.1.

Not really.

> I'll port Tyco's Q-Soft to Freedos for the real
> time system and Linux for the gui ;-)  Maybe I
> can run the program in Linux using WINE...

What is Q-Soft, which OS does it run on and why
would you port 1 half to DOS and 1 half to Linux?

> It would be awesome if open source modern video support
> existed so you can do higher resolution in say FLTK or
> Windows 3.x.

As far as I remember, HX supports VESA graphics modes
and I would expect FLTK to do the same. So instead of
doing any low level mess with PCI / PCIe, you would
just have to worry which VESA modes are supported and
how the support could be improved, e.g. by some TSR.

> A revival of the open source implementation of the
> IPX protocol would be awesome.  It would make a lot
> of old dos games work and an IPX/IP gateway could
> be a Linux server where the Linux server could handle
> security (anti virus squid proxy anyone).

I do not even remember what IPX was for, WfW 3.11 maybe?

Eric