As I understand it, (and I'm not in front of a computer so I can't check
right now) fdauto on the install disk can access the optical drive, but the
files required to access the optical drive are not copied during install,
and the lines are not in the fdauto file on the hard drive.

I may be wrong, but as I said, I'm not in front of the computer at the
moment, and the cat has fallen asleep on my lap, so I can't get up and
check right now!

As soon as he shifts, I'll get the laptop and confirm this, unless anybody
else wants to chip in...