On Tue, Sep 20, 2022 at 2:02 PM tauro via Freedos-user
<freedos-user@lists.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> Quoting the website:
>
> > Rudolph Loew (Rudy) passed away on September 11th, 2019.
> > This site is maintained by his family to archive his work and make it
> > available to anyone who is interested in pursuing further endeavors.
> > Please do not try to make any purchases, all of Rudy's projects will
> > be made available (including source code) as time permits.
>
> In order to freely distribute it and include it in FreeDOS repositories,
> wouldn't it be a good idea to contact his estate to dissipate all doubts
> about the current license? (maybe advice them to use a GNU GPL license too).
>
> Including his software in FreeDOS would keep his legacy alive for many
> years and based on forum posts by his family members and the current
> message header on his memorial website, it seems they would be happy
> with it.

I tried to reach his family, by email (several times) and by letter,
but got no response. I encouraged them to use a recognized open source
license such as the MIT license or the GNU General Public License,
including instructions for how to apply the license to the code. I
also offered to help more directly, and to get back to me if they
wanted help. But I never heard back from them.