Make sure you have the CD/DVD-ROM driver and a MSCDEX equivalent loaded
on startup. This might be happening during the installer, but might be
missing out of config.sys and autoexec.bat in your installed version...
There's a script that gets called from FDAUTO that tries several drivers
-- why wouldn't that work? And why did it work during install?

Are you saying I should throw out that script and load the driver
manually? How do I know which driver to use and where it's found?

I don't think that the installer is automatically adding the Cd-ROM driver and related files into the autoexec.bat/config.sys files, while the installer boots with those files. That might be something you need to add manually.

There is a generic driver with FreeDOS, but in worst case scenario, look for OAKCDROM.SYS on the web, that one works with pretty much everything and then just add SHSUCDX (which is an open source equivalent for MSCDEX) for the filesystem/drive mapping....

Ralf