Hi!

I have a physical AMD 386DX 40Mhz system. It runs MS dos ok but hangs when
booting freedoms.

BIOS post completes, says Loading FreeDOS then hangs. CTRL+ALT+DEL reboots
but still hangs.

Sounds like it already hangs when loading or booting the kernel,
so the problem is not in separate config sys drivers etc.?

I'm using a CF card at my hdd. It's a 4g card with a 512mb partition. This
is all the BIOS sees. This works under msdos. I've tried imaging the cf
card in another pc and installing directly from the free dos floppy
install. Both yield the same result.

I could imagine that there are problems with LBA and CompactFlash, as
the computer is rather old. Maybe you installed FreeDOS to the CF card
using a computer which supports LBA, while the 386 does not? You can
use various SYS command line options to enforce either style. Actually
you can even use SYS as a tool to "patch" a few bytes in the kernel
file to force the kernel to use either CHS or LBA etc.

Regards, Eric

PS: I would not exclude the risk that some of our software intended
for 386 use accidentally needs 486dx, but that should only affect
individual apps and drivers, hopefully not the kernel. You may try
an 8086 compatible version of our kernel for comparison, but this
may influence the CHS/LBA or FAT32 support level as a side-effect?

I have 17mb RAM, trident vga card with 1mb ram, winbond io controller,
3com 3c509 nic.