Hi!

I reinstalled from floppy onto a 40MB IDE drive and this works. So it must
be something to do with the CF card. The card works with MSDos.  MS-DOS
only sees it as a 504MB drive. I FDISK and format it and it works. Is there
anything I can try with FreeDOS to get this working?

If it works with MS DOS, I suggest to just install FreeDOS over the MS DOS install and use SYS and SYS CONFIG options to force the FreeDOS
boot sector to use CHS and force the FreeDOS kernel to use CHS as well?

Both would be related to that "only 504 MB instead of 40 GB (MB?)"
observation you made. I assume FreeDOS sees the full 40 GB with LBA,
but there is some problem with your LBA or geometry, so it fails to
boot in LBA mode until you solve that. You can try CHS first.

There are 2 threads on BTTR about FreeDOS FDISK and Ranish and about
issues with partitioning in general, so you may want to check those
as well: If the cause of your problem was a FDISK bug, that is:

https://www.bttr-software.de/forum/board_entry.php?id=19762&page=0&order=time&category=0

https://www.bttr-software.de/forum/board_entry.php?id=19691&page=0&order=time&category=0

But as said, if it works with MS DOS, I think the easiest test will
be to just install FreeDOS on the already working MS DOS C: drive,
even if only 504 MB, without repartitioning or reformatting it.

The problem could also be that LBA is reported as working but not
actually working. Early LBA age BIOS versions might have flaws in
how they implement LBA and DOS relies on the BIOS for LBA at boot.
Also, using CF instead of HDD or SSD might affect compatibility?

Regards, Eric

PS: MS DOS 6 only supports CHS, but "Win9x DOS" 7 could do LBA.
This is why there were Ontrack and similar tools to transform
CHS/LBA geometries to at least access up to 8 GB in CHS style.