I have a customer with similar setup, using 256MB CF-Cards. Funnily enuf,
directly formatting that cards with RUFUS using the current FreeDos ISO results
in the same error as you describe.
I survived with partition it with RUFUS and Boot-Selection “builtIn FreeDos”.
Then I just copy the content of the current FreeDos ZIP/ISO onto the Card. I.e.
Replacing Kernel.sys, Command.com, Config.sys, Autoexec.bat, then adding the
“Freedos” folder, and deleting the “Locale” folder.

Haven’t yet investigated why the builtin image works as bootable, but the
external image doesn’t.

With kind regards from Bavaria

Jürgen Wondzinski
Visual FoxPro<http://www.msdn.com/vfoxpro> Evangelist
Microsoft "Most Valuable
Professional<http://mvp.microsoft.com/de-de/overview.aspx>" from 1996 to 2009,
"Servoy Valued Professional<http://www.servoy.com/>“ 2011
My XING Profile<https://www.xing.com/profile/Juergen_Wondzinski>, and
LinkedIn<http://www.linkedin.com/in/wondzinski> and
Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/juergen.wondzinski> and
Twitter<http://www.twitter.com/wondzinski> and…..
GCS d+ s:+ a+++ C++ !U P--- L E? W++ N++ o-- K--? w+++ O? !M--? V-- PS PE !Y?
!PGP t 5 X R tv- b DI+ D? G e++ h-- r+++ y+++