On Sun, Nov 27, 2022 at 4:29 PM Jeremy Leonard via Freedos-user
<freedos-user@lists.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> I reinstalled from floppy onto a 40MB IDE drive and this works. So it
> must be something to do with the CF card. The card works with MSDos.
> MS-DOS only sees it as a 504MB drive. I FDISK and format it and it
> works. Is there anything I can try with FreeDOS to get this working?

I know others have had problems with real hardware systems built using
a CF card instead of a hard drive. I've seen people comment about that
on this list a while back - also on Twitter and Facebook. This problem
is sometimes (often?) the fault of the CompactFlash not doing a
perfect job of emulating or representing an IDE hard drive. When these
folks try the same system with a real hard drive, the problem does not
reappear.

As Eric suggested, you could try installing FreeDOS on top of the
MS-DOS install (don't repartition, just reinstall) and that would
work.