Adam Young wrote:
> On 11/18/2010 05:27 PM, Dmitri Pal wrote:
>> Adam Young wrote:

>>> please, and

>>> Simo, Adam and I had a long discussion on IRC regarding the time rules
>>> today (complete log attached).
>>>
>>> The short version is that we're going to continue (mostly) with the
>>> current grammar for the time rules, with a few changes.
>>>
>>> 1) We need to replace week-of-the-month with day-of-the-septet. This
>>> day
>>> should not be a range or multi-valued to eliminate confusion
>>> 2) We need to replace the time range with a duration
>>> 3) We should add startDate and endDate as attributes on the HBAC object
>>> (separate from the accessTime). I propose these should be in LDAP
>>> generalizedTime so that it's possible to construct filters around them.
>>> This effectively sets the beginning and end of a periodic schedule.

>>> 2 Saxes,  Trumpet,  Trombone Jazz combo when I hear that.  It isl ike
>>> octet versus byte....it means the same thing, and just annoys people.

>>> week.  I realize that is more verbose, but we don't sound like
>>> smarty-pants.
>>>

>>> I've drawn up a new grammar definition and published it to the SSSD
>>> wiki
>>> (not currently linked from anywhere):
>>> https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/wiki/HBAC_Grammar
>>>
>>> Please review and give feedback.
>>>

>> I thought that first septet is the first seven days of the month based
>> on earlier mails from Steven. Is this a true statement?
>> The whole issue started with ambiguity of the notion of the "N-th week"
>> of the month.
>> What is it the week-of-the-month? Is it first seven day regardless what
>> day of the week is the first day of the month (this is what I thought a
>> septet is) or fist full week from Monday to Sunday or from Sunday to
>> Saturday, or it is the first usually partial week? This is the ambiguity
>> that we want to avoid!
>>
>> If the septet is what I think it is then we can't name it the
>> week-of-the-month and IMO septet is a good term here. However then there
>> is a bug in grammar as septet can be only 1-5 not 1-6.
>>

> OK, if this is really what is driving the grammar, I'm going to have
> to NACK.
>
> Lets make something that is intelligible.  We don't want to be
> inventing concepts like Septet.  Or Septave, since 8 days is already
> called an octave.
>
> Here's the Cron line that Steve posted before.  It represents   THe
> first wednesday of the month.
>
> 0 8 1-7 * 3
>

> Lets keep the concept of week, starting on Sunday, add in the concept
> of day of the month, and mix the two together.
>
> Does the current grammar (pre-septet) support that?  Something like:
>
> accessTime: periodic monthly between day 1-7  wednesday

It does not support this.
It requires to specify either a week of the month after "monthly" and
then day within a week (as numbers or the letter day names) or a set of
numbers representing days or ranges of ways with thin the month.
You can't with exiting schema unambiguously define "first Wednesday of
the month" without the proposed "septet" changes.

Thank you,
Dmitri Pal

Sr. Engineering Manager IPA project,
Red Hat Inc.