Christian Horn wrote:
On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 12:00:22PM -0500, rashard.ke...@sita.aero wrote:
I was wondering if I need to be concerned about IPA 2 being updated
automatically to IPA 3? We have a working IPA 2 environment in place now
and wanted to know if IPA needed to be added to an exclude list. We are
afraid of breaking our current setup. When IPA 3 is released will yum
automatically upgrade it to 3 or will that be something that we have to
manually issue?

If you have the old system only receiving z-stream updates, so i.e.
6.3.z for a RHEL6.3 then you will stay on ipa2.

I just tested the upgrade of a populated ipa2/rhel6.3 to rhel6.4 .
Without a 'exclude=ipa*' in yum.conf the ipa is upgraded like all
other packages when the system gets a RHEL6.4 repo configured and
'yum update' is executed.
The release notes do not note any special upgrade procedure, also
for my testsetup the upgrade went without any issues.

Thus all points at that upgrade path is ok, as for all other packages.

I would add that I would be careful about only excluding the IPA packages. We rely on a lot of other subsystemsand mixing versions may not work as expected. In particular 389-ds-base, pki-core and krb5-*.

We are experimenting with a strict subpackage in Fedora to address this, to prevent a set of other packages from being upgraded, but it isn't quite ready for prime-time.