Christian Horn wrote:
On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 01:25:56PM -0500, Rob Crittenden wrote:
Christian Horn wrote:

If you have the old system only receiving z-stream updates, so i.e.
6.3.z for a RHEL6.3 then you will stay on ipa2.

I just tested the upgrade of a populated ipa2/rhel6.3 to rhel6.4 .
Without a 'exclude=ipa*' in yum.conf the ipa is upgraded like all
other packages when the system gets a RHEL6.4 repo configured and
'yum update' is executed.
The release notes do not note any special upgrade procedure, also
for my testsetup the upgrade went without any issues.

Thus all points at that upgrade path is ok, as for all other packages.

I would add that I would be careful about only excluding the IPA
packages. We rely on a lot of other subsystemsand mixing versions
may not work as expected. In particular 389-ds-base, pki-core and
krb5-*.

Cant we then just tie the ipa packages to the older 389-ds-base etc.
package versions?

Christian

That's what we're looking into, to have, for example, specific Requires: 389-ds-base = x.y.z rather than >= x.y.z. This introduces other challenges too because we need to allow some amount of flexibility. We just need to find the right balance.