hi nolan,

i think starcluster is a great way to create a cluster on aws. but for
those wanting to create a single instance and install things on an ami
without actually having a large ami, fabric might be a good option.

fabric:
http://docs.fabfile.org/en/1.3.2/index.html

example: (another neurodebian ami)
https://github.com/wholeslide/ipython_in_a_box/blob/master/fabfile.py