Dear Bruce,

Thanks for your tip. Actually, it didn't work for me. I went to ask one of
my colleagues, Martin Reuter, for help, and it turns out that the
permission of my files in the $FREESURFER_HOME/bin folder have been changed
to 'read only'. Martin helped me to change the files in the
$FREESURFER_HOME/bin folder to all executable files by using this command:
'chmod u+w *'.

Hence, I'm replying to this thread so that I hope this will help others in
the future with similar problems.

Thanks again for your patience!

Cheers,
Hweeling