I have another take on this

As Steve pointed out, there are sections of the code that produce non
zero, but near zero.
specifically the imag component here and there.

Without looking at it carefully (That is to say, talking out of my arse)
, I would guess that the imprecision of floating point numbers led to
there being non zero values where you might get zero with infinite
precision floating point (conceptually of course) .

Now, the slight bit difference in output  due using zeros, not the non
zeros (but almost zeros)  is most likely insignificant.
OR
it messes something up (based on assumptions ) and it corrected
elsewhere inadvertently.