Yeah.

Cascading codecs is always trouble.

BTW My understand of the word TRANSCODING is going between one encoded
method and another without going back all the way to uncompressed. Going
between different video encoding methods usually done by transcoding.
Most video encoding is all DCT / macroblock based so is probably more
relationship between codecs than speech codec variations....

In this problematic voip case:  uncoded PCM (microphone)  >> AMBE2 >>
over air >> decoded >> PCM >> uLaw encode>> ulaw decode >> headset. (and
reverse) .

regards