Cool videos by Thai ham HS5TQA. https://www.youtube.com/user/HS5TQA
I would assume he is using only one of the two cores, and still gets decode
speed that looks just fine. For what that processor costs, I'm not sure we
*need* anything slower.

I have the ESP32 running the server I wrote for Algoram Whitebox, and thus
you can connect to it with your phone, tablet, or laptop and control it
using any HTML5 browser, using the phone mike and speaker. Or control your
rig from anywhere in the world. It is simultaneously a WiFi AP and client.
I've not touched the Bluetooth code, but you can do that too. Pretty good
for $5 ready to plug into your breadboard and $3.80 for the *module *(not
just a chip) single quantity. I am using the native programming interface
rather than the Arduino one. But for people who have an Arduino code base,
you can port it ESP32 and have the network connectivity.

The ESP only has a 12 bit ADC and an 8 bit ADC. But a 24-bit stereo codec
chip is only a few bucks. So, you can make a pretty cheap box to remote
control your rig and run the codec or DSP software of your choice. The
ESP32-WROOM version has about half a megabyte of RAM and 4 MB FLASH, the
ESP32-WROVER ads another 4 MB RAM and still costs about $5 for the module.

Because of its network connectivity, low cost, and ease of building around
a module that is already a working computer, it could blow SM1000 out of
the water. And it's got two cores, a real OS, touch sensors so you can
build a keyer out of a piece of double-sided PCB, various hardware
accelerators, and other sorts of I/O. There is also an ultra-low-power
processor that can wake up the main CPU, so it can do audio squelch with
low power drain, etc.

The low-level WiFi and Bluetooth code is proprietary, and the
WiFi/Bluetooth radio is an SDR that is just begging to be reverse
engineered, but all high-level code is taken from existing Open Source
projects.

It's so convenient to put one of those modules on a hardware project and
then talk to the project with your web browser.

    Thanks

    Bruce