Hi Gerhard,
I use the following hardware for tests:

- Obviously the controlling computer (I haven't had a chance to test it on
Raspbian, but Debian Buster works pretty well)

- PlutoSDR as the base; LimeSDR-mini should work well but my dev board
can't use the latest software so not testing on it yet; the USRP
B200(/mini) (it has great support, features and drivers, but pretty
expensive); other duplex SDRs supported by gr-osmosdr should work as well
but not tested at all; RTL-SDR if you want to use separate TX and RX
devices.

- RF switches (I use RelComm RDS-SR026 found cheaply on Ebay but SV1AFN.com
relays may work better)

- Cheap linear amplifier found for 20-30 Euros on Ebay, I have a bunch of
them from 0.5 Watt to 3 Watt. For FM and FSK non-linear works as well. I
also have some Kuhne filtered linears but they are too powerful for my
needs.

- Appropriate filters (band-pass or low pass from Temwell, Toko, etc.). In
Europe can be sourced from RF-Microwave.

- USB relay board with FT232 chipset. Can be found pretty cheap on Amazon
or Ebay, the blueish-white board variety. Example:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/4-Channel-Type-B-Controller-Automation-Robotics/dp/B07TVTHY2Q/ref=sr_1_8?crid=K1WGVFE8QRGV&keywords=usb+relay+board&qid=1571326031&sprefix=usb+relay%2Caps%2C182&sr=8-8
or
https://www.amazon.co.uk/8-Channel-Controlled-Programmable-Computer-Automation/dp/B076CLT2WK/ref=sr_1_7?crid=K1WGVFE8QRGV&keywords=usb+relay+board&qid=1571326031&sprefix=usb+relay%2Caps%2C182&sr=8-7

If you find bugs or think of some useful features for repeater mode it's
greatly appreciated to leave a Github ticket. Depending on my workload I'll
do my best to work on this.
Picture of my messy test setup:
https://www.radioamator.ro/forum/download/file.php?id=3807&sid=0c124ba914201e8d1423f687f104e97f&mode=view

Adrian