>   . As a prerequisite (documented in the README) the user must compile
>     the `base' version of FreeType manually so that a DLL gets
>     created.  This should *not* be handled automatically.  And no need
>     to install them.
>   . Similarly, the `test' version of FreeType should be built with a
>     simple call to `make'.  Again there should be no need to install
>     it.
>   . The user should then specify the `base' FreeType `.so' file using
>     a variable, say, `FREETYPE_BASE_DLL'.

After compiling both the libraries, I am doing this in objs/ folder.
    libtool --mode=install cp libfreetype.la
/home/ksvsk/working-repo/tests/make_png/test/libfreetype.la
And using the .so file generated in the test/ folder.
Similarly doing this for the 'base' version as well.
I am getting the correct result.
Is this what is needed to be done ?