Panic over intangibles is the right thing?  Promise?

On 3/29/11 11:30 AM, Douglas Roberts wrote:
In the absence of a functioning moral compass, I suppose this is a workable definition.

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 11:25 AM, Sarbajit Roy <sroy...@gmail.com <mailto:sroy...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    What the majority of people do IS the right thing. Wisdom of
    crowds and so on.

    On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 10:03 PM, Douglas Roberts
    <d...@parrot-farm.net <mailto:d...@parrot-farm.net>> wrote:
    > Geeze, Nick.
    > You can't make people do the right thing.  People have to want
    to do the
    > right thing.  People don't want to do the right thing.  (Speaking in
    > majority terms now, minority exceptions don't count).  Things
    won't change
    > until people change.  When will that be?  Not in our lifetime,
    people are
    > slow learners, and relatively stupid, statistically speaking.
     We're talking
    > on the evolutionary time scale before the collective good will
    come before
    > the individual profit on this particular spec of the cosmos.
    > --Doug
    > BTW, I'm a realist.  Not a pessimist, nor an optimist.  Roger
    probably
    > understands.  And Steve.  I kind of wonder about some of the
    rest of you,
    > though.

Doug Roberts
drobe...@rti.org <mailto:drobe...@rti.org>