I prefer embarrassed to shamed - perhaps there's a spectrum from proud to
embarrassed to shamed to guilty.

Perhaps white lies do not grease your part of the wheels of society - but I'm
reasonably sure, based on my experience, that they are in use in many societies
including ours.  There's the blatant pretense of privacy that Marcus mentioned
exists in Japan.  There's the "white" lies mentioned in books of etiquette.
There's the common jokes about answering one's SO's question of whether they
look good (in particular clothing or after getting their hair styled or ….).
These are all proof that we lie frequently in order to grease the wheels of
society.

Ray Parks
Consilient Heuristician/IDART Program Manager
V: 505-844-4024  M: 505-238-9359  P: 505-951-6084
NIPR: rcpa...@sandia.gov<mailto:rcpa...@sandia.gov>
SIPR: rcpar...@sandia.doe.sgov.gov<mailto:rcpar...@sandia.doe.sgov.gov> (send
NIPR reminder)
JWICS: dopa...@doe.ic.gov<mailto:dopa...@doe.ic.gov> (send NIPR reminder)