Saul Caganoff wrote at 03/28/2013 04:05 PM:
> I'm astonished that anyone could even contemplate fitting a straight
> line to those scatter plots.

Yeah, but that's the problem.  We pattern recognizers have no choice but
to do _something_ ... anything in order to recognize a pattern.

> Alternative hypothesis...isn't it just that EWMs have a propensity to
> benefit from the status-quo?

I don't know.  I would think the EWMs would be aggressive enough to
recognize that _if_ a sea change is on the horizon, they'd want to put
themselves in a position to come out on top after the change.  So,
perhaps if we reform your alternative hypothesis to:

The EWMs want to make the surveyors _think_ that they think the climate
risk is low, while actually operating behind the scenes to ensure their
hegemony after the effects of climate change settle out.

Then I might get on board. ;-)

If you are not free to choose wrongly and irresponsibly, you are not
free at all. -- Jacob Hornberger